Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. When should I consider looking at moving into aged care?

A. Considering whether or not you should move into an aged care service can be a difficult decision to make and often this time is filled with mixed emotions. One option is to discuss your thoughts and concerns with someone who respects your situation and knows you well. Perhaps this could be a family member or your local doctor. Another method of ascertaining your needs is to consult with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). If you wish to enter residential aged care the ACAT are required to assess you . It may therefore, be a good idea to contact them and discuss your needs. For more information you can call ACAT directly on 1800 052 222.

Q2. What is an ACCR (Aged Care Client Record) assessment?

A. An ACCR assessment is an evaluation of your care needs by a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). This person is a health care professional in the area of aged care. They will visit you at home and enquire about your care needs, lifestyle and living arrangements in order to ascertain the best possible care situation for you. These assessments are free.

Q3. Where can I get more information regarding aged care?

A. There are numerous services available to assist and provide you with the latest in aged care information. These include your local doctor, local hospital, health centre, the Commonwealth Carelink Centre (phone 1800 052 222) and Aged & Community Care Information Line (phone: 1800 500 853). Refer to our 'Useful Links' tab for further information.

Q4. Where do I find out about costs?

A. Each aged care service has its own fee structure based on the services on offer. They may also require an upfront Bond payment. However, all aged care services are regulated by the legislated fees set by the Department of Health and Ageing. Understanding costs can be daunting but it is a very important factor when considering which aged care service you would like to enter. Contact your accountant or financial planner for further information. You can also contact an aged care financial advisor for more specific information. The Staff at Tallwoods Corner would be happy to provide you with a list of appropriate Aged Care Financial Planners.

Q5. What is an Enduring Power of Attorney and do I need one?

A. An Enduring Power of Attorney is a legal document that appoints an independent person (the attorney) to act on your behalf regarding matters of money and property if you become incapable of understanding. Information regarding a power of attorney can be obtained from a solicitor, community legal centre, state trustee company or your local magistrate's court. Having your affairs in order can give you peace of mind and comfort, knowing your finances will be taken care of if you are not capable of doing so. Tallwoods Corner can also assist you by putting you in contact with a solicitor.

Q6. What is Enduring Guardianship?

A. Similar to the Enduring Power of Attorney, the Enduring Guardianship is a legal document that appoints an independent person (guardian) to act on your behalf regarding decisions relating to your care, choice of residential care facility, personal services and medical and dental treatment, as well as care directives if not already in place under "Advanced Care Directive".

Q7. What is an Advanced Care Directive?

A. An Advanced Care Directive is a written statement providing guidance to your family, friends and GP with regard to your medical treatment should you become incapacitated. Further detailed information can be obtained on www.health.nsw.gov.au

Copyright 2010 Tallwoods CornerLinefour Graphics Web Design